The aquarium is liked by many. Many people love to have an aquarium at their homes and workplace as well. It is a glass transparent vivarium that is used to keep living plants and animals. It is transparent from all sides so everyone can see what’s inside. Aquarium first came in 1850. The word aquarium was coined by Philip Henry Gosse who is an English naturalist. The word aquarium is made from two words aqua which means water and arium which means relating to a place.
In an aquarium, people keep both plants and animals. It is based on the concept that if plants are present in the water in an aquarium, they will give off oxygen that can be used by the animals in the aquarium. It is effective only till the number of animals is limited and not more than the oxygen the plants can provide for. An aquarium is mainly made of glass or acrylic of high strength.
The aquarium is available in various sizes so can be placed in rooms, offices and even hotels and malls. It is available in small size as the size of a bowl and in a large size that can hold up to thousands of litres. Mostly the large aquarium is found in public places such as banquet halls, malls etc.
Freshwater aquarium plants
Various plants can be kept in the freshwater aquarium such as:
- Moneywort – grows up to a maximum of twelve inches
- Ratala rotundifolia – grows up to a maximum of thirty to fifty centimetres
- Pygmy Chain Sword (Narrow Leaf) – grows up to a maximum of six inches
- Anubia Nana – grows up to a maximum of seven to eight inches
- Cryptocoryne Wendttii – grows up to a maximum of six inches
- Marimo ball – a slow rate of growth
- Cryptocoryne Balansae – grows up to a maximum of sixteen to eighteen inches
- Red ludwigia – grows up to a maximum of sixteen to eighteen inches
- Duckweed – grows rapidly and cover the whole aquarium fast
- Water wisteria – grows up to a maximum of fifteen to twenty inches
- Tiger lotus – grows up to a maximum of forty-five centimetres
- Java Fern– grows up to a maximum of seven to eight inches
- Vallisneria Spirallis – grows up to a maximum of seventeen to twenty inches
- Amazon sword – grows up to a maximum of nineteen to twenty inches
- Water lettuce – grows up to eight to ten inches
- Cryptocoryne Beckettii – grows up to a maximum of four to six inches
- African water fern – grows up to a maximum of twenty inches
- Tiger lotus- grows up to a maximum of forty-five centimetres
These are some of the popular freshwater aquarium plants. Most aquarium users will be having these in their aquariums. Adding plants to the aquarium make them aesthetically more attractive as well. The plant that is most liked by people is java fern and it is one of the plants that are available easily in the market as well.