As a long-time journal writer and instructor, I developed a series of exercises that blended the Tarot with the art and craft of journaling. I want to re-visit for myself and share with you one of my favourites. It’s been a long time since I’ve done this exercise, and I am excited at what it might reveal. If you also love tarot reading and other psychic reading so you should know that there are a lot of great online psychic reading websites. Which you can explore and know more different things like I have mentioned in the article some of the things that I have been learned by psychic and tarot reading.
The exercise is based on Ira Progoff’s At a Journal Workshop, written back in 1992. (has it been that long?
Before even shuffling your deck, use your journal to record the “chapters of your life” in chronological order; these are the Major Arcana-ish moments like falling in love, marriage, heartbreak, graduating from college, winning the Pulitzer – – you know, the events that stand out in your mind as the most important of your life.
Once you’ve written down the events (chapters), shuffle your cards, asking for insight into each of those events.
Optionally, you can draw additional cards about how the event is still impacting your life; or if there is some action required on your part to heal. This is open-ended, and I follow the cards where they want to lead me . . . I could draw one card for an event, or 10 – – the number isn’t as important as the information gained.
Ready, Set, Go!
I’m going to be brave here and list my chapters, along with the card that accompanied each. (Glancing at my list, I can easily see the chapters that need more exploration – – and those that still need healing)
- I was born into a family of knowledge-lovers: King of Swords – How appropriate!
- My baby brother died: 8 of Swords
- We moved to California: 5 of Swords – I wouldn’t say I liked it for a very long time–my joy was stolen
- Grandma H died: King of Cups (R) – More awful than I had ever known
- Dad died: Temperance (R) My world balance was obliterated
- I started college: Knight of Wands (R) Wrong school, no passion
- I finished college: Fool – Right school, exciting to be off on the adventure
- I fell in love: Page of Wands (R). I was young and dumb. Wrong person.
- I got my first real job: 7 Pentacles (R) Too tight, too restrictive, too unjoyful
- I quit my first real job: 5 Cups – Quitting brought issues of their own, but still good remained
- I moved back to California: Page of Swords – Didn’t have a clue what to do with me
- My relationship ended: Page of Pentacles (R) Long overdue
- I met someone and fell in love: Moon (wow – this is a long and winding road, still dealing with this one)
- I published my first magazine article: 10 Swords –
- I published my first book: 4 Pentacles – Crummy money, great ego booster
- My relationship of 20+ years ended: Devil – – the Devil did make me do it
- I lost lots of weight: 6 Pentacles (R) Success, but unhealthy
- I gained back weight: King of Wands (R) – No joy but ice cream
- I became a nomad: Queen of Swords (R) – For someone with five planets in Virgo, this was a no-go
- I had a “cardiac event”: Death – how appropriate. Death of going through life acting as if my actions had no consequences
- I stand at a crossroads: Ace of Wands (R) – passion is building, but the direction is unclear